Suman is a variety of kakanin found in the Philippines. Suman is made of malagkit or glutinous rice wrapped in banana leaves and gradually cooked. I love sumang malagkit so much! I am always craving for this kakanin as in I always go out to find a store selling suman. One day, i realized that I can also learn how to make this kind of kakanin too. It's not too difficult as I thought, and when I learned the procedure, i do it almost every week as long as i have time. this suman procedure is an original recipe of my 70 year old auntie, she's been cooking suman malagkit to sell for almost 40 years now. So I am very sure that this recipe is the best suman recipe you'll ever find online. This is called suman malagkit of Batangas.
- 1 kg. Malagkit (glutinous rice)
- 1/2 tbsp. salt
- 1/4 kg white sugar
- 500 ml of coconut milk (kakang gata)
- banana leaves (for wrapping)
- 1 liter water for boiling
- Half cook the glutinous rice with the coconut milk until it becomes sticky then remove from heat.
- Scoop the cooked malagkit then wrap in banana leaves.
- Put the wrapped malagkit in a casserole with two liters of water.( Make sure to put banana leaves in the casserole before arranging or putting the wrapped malagkit inside,this is to prevent sticking the suman from the bottom of the casserole.)
- In a medium heat,cook the suman for one hour or more. Check the tenderness every once in a while.