Follow your cravings this rainy season; prepare Suman Malagkit for the whole family!

suman malagkit recipe
Suman Malagkit

Hello moms! It's been raining for weeks now. Cold days makes me crave for different types of food like hot ramen, bilu-bilo and most especially, suman kakanin. Actually, it's not just me me who crave for this super duper addictive suman recipe of my mom but also my kids. My mom's suman recipe is an original recipe of her grand mom from Batangas. As we all know, Batangas is very popular when it comes to making delicious kakanin like suman malagkit. For those who are not familiar with Pinoy's suman malagkit, it is a type of kakanin made of glutinous rice, coconut milk and salt wrapped in banana leaves, this is the classic recipe of suman malagkit, but when you say "suman Batangas" it's the suman recipe in which sugar is already added. Unlike the classic suman recipe which you have to dip in sugar to attain desired sweetness, suman batangas has a combination of creamy, a bit salty and sweet sticky rice with the banana leaves aroma that you can't resist.

Making this suman recipe is not as difficult as you thought, like any other tasks, when you get used to it, you can surely make it with pride. when my mom passed away, I stopped enjoying the sweet taste of her suman recipe because I never tried to make it, until one day, when my tummy really misses my mom's suman recipe, I started to recall the way she cooks our favorite suman Batangas. I'm lucky to have that photographic memory, I was 10 when I last saw my mom making this recipe, but the procedure clearly comes in my mind...one by one. Now I'm gonna share the exact suman recipe of my late mom and I hope like me and my kids, you'd lve it too!

Ingredients:

  • 1 kg. Malagkit (glutinous rice)
  • 1/2 tbsp. salt
  • 1/4 kg white sugar
  • 500 ml of coconut milk (kakang gata)
  • banana leaves (for wrapping)
  • 1 liter water for boiling

Procedure:



  • Half cook the glutinous rice with in coconut milk with constant stirring until it becomes sticky then remove from heat.
  • Scoop the cooked malagkit then wrap in banana leaves atleast 5 inches long and thickness not bigger than 1 peso coin.
  • Put banana leaves left-over as the base of your suman then put the wrapped malagkit in a casserole with one liter of water.( Make sure to put banana leaves in the casserole before arranging or putting the wrapped malagkit inside,this is to prevent sticking the suman from the bottom of the casserole.)
  • In a medium heat,cook the suman for one hour or more. Check the tenderness every once in a while.
  • If you think it's not done yet, you can add water then let it boil again till cooked.



Related Posts
Previous
« Prev Post

1 comments

January 18, 2021 at 8:14 PM

thank you for a clear instruction. Keep it up ☺️

Reply
avatar

Random Posts

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks